Barnquilttrails.ca is a Canadian network of quilters, rural organizations, museums, historians, sponsors and many others with a passion for rural Canada. Thousands of buildings proudly host a barn quilt. The count is up to 6,000 and spreading.
Barn quilts honour our quilters and the textile arts. Barn quilts draw attention to the magnificent barns that are fast disappearing. Barn quilts tell stories. They draw motorists to our rural highways. Barn Quilts are rural graffiti. They are civic art pointing to sacred places battlefields, and historic locations.
Ontario Barn Quilts is working together to promote and enhance rural creativity, the arts, Canadian heritage and culture. Below, you can explore some of the many tours in Ontario, or take a tour of the 12 destinations within the St. George Barn Quilt Tour.
The St. George Barn Quilt Trail is just one of 17 TRAILS in Ontario. This one has 12 destinations where the Quilts are displayed as Poster Boards on buildings within this area and these can be viewed from your car as you TOUR ABOUT the countryside.
The St George Barn Quilt Trail is the legacy of the St George Bi-Centennial celebrations during 2014.
Congratulations to the community and hardworking volunteers for creating such an interesting barn quilt trail associated with St George’s History.
This block represents the rich fertile soil of the area and the blue sky the appeasing climate for agriculture crops. The yellow background and corn represents the golden harvest of the crops grown in the area.
Address: 42 ST. GEORGE RD., ST. GEORGE
In the 20th century, farmers realized that their land was well-suited for apple production. Orchards in operation today concentrate on the fresh apple market, with culled fruit being used for cider production.
Address: 356 ST. GEORGE RD., ST. GEORGE
People from miles around came to the St. George well for gallons of fresh clean water. The well was closed around 1990 after the all-day and all-night crowds to the well became disruptive to the neighbours.
Address: 9 MAIN ST. N., ST. GEORGE
The barber pole on the block represents that of a barber shop that cuts hair and does shaves. The mainstay tool of the barber was the scissor, hence the dominant centre location in the barn quilt block.
Address: 312 HIGHWAY 5, RR1., ST. GEORGE
Carolinian is a label used within the Deciduous Forest Region. This quilt block features the leaves of the Pignut Hickory, the American Sweet Chestnut, the Black Walnut and the Sasafras.
Address: 93 HIGHWAY 5., ST. GEORGE
This block features a motif of crossed wrenches, sable, on a ruby field, surmounted by a toothed gear. The wrenches and gears are examples of the tools and agricultural implements created in St. George.
Address: 41 MAIN ST. S., ST. GEORGE
While buildings and equipment are ever-changing in the fire service, one constant is the spirit of volunteerism and dedication that has been an outstanding characteristic of the St. George firefighters from 1912 through 2014.
Address: 238 HIGHWAY 5., ST. GEORGE
This quilt represents the history of hockey in South Dumfries and the four individuals in the St George area who have been associated with the NHL: Tommie Ivan, Don (Donnie) Johns, Tom Fergus, Adam Munro.
Address: 7 GAUKEL DR., ST. GEORGE
The St. George Branch was formed in 1879. It went into severe decline between the two World Wars. Plays were produced in the town’s Memorial Hall to raise funds for new books. In 1999, it moved to its new spot at 78 Main Street, North. The barn quilt is located at:
Address: 1 THOMPSON ST., ST. GEORGE
The Joseph Smith Memorial Garden was formed in 1990, named after Joseph Smith, an award-winning lily grower and hybridizer who lived in St George. In 2010, it was moved and now has more than 500 plants of 100 varieties of lilies.
Address: 20 CHURCH AVE., ST GEORGE
The Railway in St. George began in 1852. It brought goods and carried passengers to and from their daily activities. Passenger service was discontinued in 1930; freight service in the 1960’s; viaduct was dismantled in 1963.
Address: 5 BEVERLY ST. W., ST. GEORGE
This block is composed of a poppy behind a cross on a black background. The Silver Cross in the centre resembles the Memorial Cross, awarded to mothers and widows of soldiers who died on active duty.
Address: 36 MAIN ST. S., ST. GEORGE